Notice: this page uses content stolen from Encyclopedia SpongeBobia
|Uh-oh! It looks like this article is Stolen!|
this page uses content stolen from Encyclopedia SpongeBobia.
Time cards present
- A few minutes later
- A little longer than a few minutes later
- Two hours later
- 3 days later
- Sheldon J. Plankton
- Patrick Star
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Squidward Tentacles
- Karen Plankton
Cameos of Bikini Bottomies
- Harold (red fish)
- Nat Peterson
- Old Man Jenkins
- Mrs. Shell
- Nathiel Waters
- Frank Fishbowl
- Billy (lime fish)
- Debbie Rechid
- Vera-Beth Fishbowl
The episode starts out when two customers park at the Chum Bucket. Plankton thinks they want to eat there, but they couldn't find parking at the Krusty Krab. Karen then suggests that Plankton should advertise his product. Plankton then hangs a sign that says CHUM IS METABOLIC FUEL! Patrick comes along and tries to read the sign, but his head starts smoking from the strain of trying to understand what the words are. After his head is put out, Patrick then rearranges the letters so the sign reads CHUM IS FUM! The new slogan starts to attract customers. Plankton hires Patrick as his slogan manager. Meanwhile back at the Krusty Krab, Mr. Krabs believes Plankton has stolen the secret formula, and comes up with a plan to steal the formula back. Plankton sees through their disguise and they realize that it was the slogan that brought in the customers, despite the fact the chum tastes awful. (To combat the disgusting taste of the chum, the customers simply say Chum Is Fum over and over.) Then Plankton goes to Patrick to check on how his new assignment to come up with new slogan ideas is going. However, all Patrick does is write Chum is Fum in a thousand different ways. Plankton then gets mad at Patrick, but cools down because Patrick's slogan is still attracting coustomers. A few days later, people are getting bored of the slogan, so Plankton and Patrick hold a board meeting. Patrick comes up with a new slogan three days later, changing it to FUM IS CHUM. This brings back Plankton's customers, much to the chagrin of Mr. Krabs. Business is so large Plankton gets into the restaurant magazines and even a hockey team shows up to eat. Patrick then decides the resign from his position as advertising director because he is "burnt out." (There is literally a hole burned into the back of his head.) Plankton protests, but then bluffs to make Patrick believe that he is desposible, and not nessacrerry to keep customers eating at the Chum Bucket. During his rant, Plankton accidentally insults his customers over the intercom that he had installed by the cash register earlier to taunt Mr. Krabs. His customers hear him calling them "bufoons, morons, the dumbest of the dumb" among other things, which causes all his customers to abandon their chum in anger. Plankton then gets beaten up by the hockey team. At the end, everyone sees Patrick finishing a sign that says the Krusty Krab's new slogan, KRABBY PATTIES ARE FUM! and everyone returns to the Krusty Krab.
- A clip of this episode can be shown on SpongeBob.com, but it was misplaced under the clip of Single Cell Anniversary.
- This is the second time Patrick works for Plankton. The first time was in the episode called, The Fry Cook Games.
- A game based on the episode can be played at SpongeBob.com. Chum is Fum is based on the customers eating the Chum Stick.
- This is the fifth time Plankton gets at least one customer. The first time was in Mermaid Man vs. SpongeBob, second was Plankton's Regular, third was Chum Caverns, and the fourth was "Greasy Buffoons".
- This is the second time we see the local hockey team. The first time was in Krabs a la Mode.
- Goofy Goober is once again mentioned in this episode.
- "Chum is Fum" was once again used in SpongeBob's Last Stand.
- When Mr.Krabs looks out from his office there are only two customers. But when he says they have a situation to SpongeBob there are no customers at the tables.
- This is the second time Nat eats at the Chum Bucket. He eats there the first time only because he was paid to in Plankton's Regular.
- Patrick's brain's "Department Of Thoughts" is similar to the office in SpongeBob's brain shown in the episode called Squilliam Returns. Also, it caught fire like SpongeBob's brain office did.
- Frank has a red shirt when he approaches the counter after the Chum Bucket has a new slogan. The next shot when it zooms to the register, his shirt is blue.
- Karen wears a hairnet even though she doesn't have any hair.
- This is the second time the Chum Bucket was featured as the main issue on written news. The first time was in The Krabby Kronicle.
- Like in Plankton's Regular, Krabs' problem automatically solves itself.
- This episode is paired with Single Cell Anniversary. These are the only two episodes paired together that both focus around Plankton.
- This is the first time Plankton made SpongeBob eat chum
- This is the second time people ate chum and didn't like it, but only loved the theme. The first was in Chum Caverns.
- This episode may be named after the Chum Bucket Supreme that Plankton served after changing his slogan for a second time. It may be his most expensive item.
- This is one of few episodes where Plankton doesn't even make an attempt to steal the Krusty Krab Secret Formula.
- The slogan, Chum is Fum and Fum is Chum rhyme, but the slogan Krabby Patties are Fum does not, but this was probably done on purpose.
- Error: When the hockey players first heard Plankton talking about his customers in a bad way, there were five of them. However, when they were about to attack Plankton with their hockey sticks, there were only four of them.
- Error: When Patrick was first seen putting up the sign for the Krusty Krab, the hole in the back of his head wasn't seen. When Patrick was seen for the last time, the hole is now on at the back of his head.
- Error: When Plankton was stomping on the ripped paper in anger, his head was still messed up. However, in the next shot when Plankton was yelling on how he's tired of the Krusty Krab stealing his customers, his head was suddenly fixed.
- Error: When Plankton was going through the Box of Letters, the front door to the Chum Bucket was missing.
- The hockey players have Canadian accents, and they often say "Eh?". This is often used in Canada.
APM music identification
- Chum Bucket Rhumba [original music by Sage Guyton and Jeremy Wakefield] (Title card)
- Drama Link D - Plankton's eye is full of water and explodes out of his head.
- Drama Link F - Plankton gets angry.
- Drama Link O - "We're doomed Karen, doomed!
- Wooden Bear - Mr. Krabs disguises his voice.
- On the Beach - Patrick resigns.