Crusader Kings II is a grand strategy game set in the middle ages with a focus on the Crusades. Published on the 14th of February in the year 2012 it's continued to have a strong lively player base with the most recent expansion (Holy Fury) set for release in 2018.
Players don't control a single character but rather a dynastic legacy of characters through generations from the year 1066 to 1453. There are no objectives save to score the most points for one's dynasty with titles, good breeding, etc. As such success is solely up to the player- if the player has made if their personal goal to become Holy Roman Emperor and conquer Moorish Spain then so be it. The game provides numerous RPG elements to make each generation more interesting.
- Sword of islam - June 25, 2012 - allows players to play a Muslim ruler, adds story events related to Sunni and Shia Muslims, Islamic specific titles such as 'Bey' and 'Sultan'.
- Sunset Invasion - November 2012 - This optional expansion adds an alternate history scenario where in the Aztecs invade Europe in the 14th century. Adds the Aztec Religion, Culture, Cultural Buildings, etc.
- Sons of Abraham - November 18, 2013 - allows players to play as a Jewish ruler, enhances the simulation of Abrahamic faiths with Ramadon, Pass Over, etc; College of Cardinals, etc.
- Charlemagne - October 14, 2014 - adds vice royalty, improvements to narrative gameplay, the ability to establish a custom Kingdom or Empire- so as to form the Holy Roman Empire with the new 769 start date.
- Monks and Mystics - March 2017 - Adds secret societies, monastic orders, devil worshipers, and the Assassins. Chancellors have more abilities and characters may collect holy relics or donate them to the Papacy.
- Holy Fury - 2018 - allows Pagan religions to reform into an organized religion giving them a Religious Head and other attributes. Adds Sainthood as something the Pope can proclaim of a character. Pagan characters can now join Warrior Lodges. Characters descended from a powerful figure like Genghis Khan or Charlemagne have a trait for such heritage. Kings and Emperors must now find a holy man to crown them. Added randomized worlds which can generate near historical or fantastic settings- for example; one ruled by animals.