|Season 1, Episode 3a (#6)|
|Air date||July 31, 1999|
|Written by|| Steve Fonti|
A jellyfish swims by SpongeBob's house, where SpongeBob and Patrick observe it through a massive telescope protruding from a window at SpongeBob's house. They prepare for jellyfishing like a pro, but then meet Squidward and ask him if he wants to join them. He says that he can't go with them because he's busy and goes bicycling instead. SpongeBob asks Squidward if he can join them next time. Squidward sarcastically says yes and goes off.
Unfortunately, while he is bicycling, he has an accident involving a jellyfish and is ultimately left wheelchair bound. SpongeBob and Patrick decide that what Squidward needs is a "Best Day Ever". It begins at Squidward's house where Patrick offers Squidward some soup. (For whatever reason, the doctors put bandages all over Squidward's body, including his mouth). Patrick blows the hot soup onto Squidward's bandaged face several times before SpongeBob says that soup isn't a good idea. SpongeBob then suggests that some
music would be good, and gets Squidward's clarinet. He blows a bad note before realizing that his lips are too dry, and goes through several disgusting motions of trying to wet his lips. Patrick soon violently rips the instrument away from SpongeBob, declaring music not to be a good thing for Squidward either.
SpongeBob and Patrick then declare that a jellyfishing expedition would be in order for the "Best Day Ever". When they arrive in Jellyfish Fields, SpongeBob tells Patrick to give a net to Squidward, while he finds "a good specimen". He (Patrick) explains that Squidward must, "firmly grasp it (the net) in your hand", but when Patrick fails to put a jellyfishing net in Squidward's cast covered hand he stabs it through Squidward's palm, much to his chagrin and pain.</p>
He is not into it at first, but when a jellyfish stings him, he goes after it
for revenge. He manages to catch the jellyfish, and bangs his net triumphantly against a pink mass, but in doing so angers a queen jellyfish, who was the aforementioned pink mass. The queen jellyfish chases after him, attacking him with an extremely massive sting. The next day, SpongeBob and Patrick meet outside Squidward's house, and attempt to give a now life-support-bound Squidward the jellyfish that he caught the previous day. SpongeBob wonders if Squidward is still mad, and Squidward, who is still mad, according to Patrick and based on his actions, opens the jar and lets the jellyfish attack SpongeBob and Patrick. As Squidward laughs, the royal giant discovers him and stings him, destroying his life-support. A completely blackened Squidward can only say, "Ow."
- Associated production music
The following is a list of music tracks used in the episode.
- Leaf Blower-The Blue Hawaiians (title card)
- Aloha Oe- Hans Haider, Queen Lili'uokalani (opening)
- The Grinder- Rolf Anton Krueger (rock music)
- Merlin's Hill- Jennifer Jones (SpongeBob and Patrick jellyfishing)
- The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka- Chelmsford Folk Band (SpongeBob asks if Squidward wants to go with them)
- Hawaiian Link (a)- Richard Myhill (Squidward rides off)
- Hawaiian Link (b)- Richard Myhill ("Are you kidding? We're his best friends.")
- Honolulu March- Hans Haider (SpongeBob waiting for Squidward)
- You're Nice[original music by Sage Guyton and Jeremy Wakefield] ("Welcome home, Squidward!")
- The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka- Chelmsford Folk Band (Jellyfish Fields)
- Nick's B Danube- Nicolas Carr (showing Squidward how it's done)
- [original music by Sage Guyton and Jeremy Wakefield] (Squidward chasing a jellyfish)
- Menace from the Deep- Robert Cornford (giant jellyfish wakes up)
- Dangerous A- Mladen Franko (giant jellyfish chases Squidward)
- Seaweed[original music by Steve Belfer] (the next day)
- Old Hilo March- Kapono Beamer (jellyfish in jar)
- Menace from the Deep- Robert Cornford (giant jellyfish returns)
- Hawaiian Link (a) - Richard Myhill ("Ow.")
- Clips from this episode appeared in the 2003 film, Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life, but the characters' voices were spoken in Mandarin Chinese.
- Footage of a jellyfish from this episode appeared in the beginning of the season 5 episode, 20,000 Patties Under the Sea.
- SpongeBob, Patrick, and Squidward are all left handed in this episode.
- Squidward rode off a cliff, causing an explosion. This was referenced in the season 3 episode, "My Pretty Seahorse", when Squidward stated not to laugh at SpongeBob because of his previous karma, however he still rode off a cliff.
- This is the first time an explosion is seen.
- This is the first time Patrick blows something hot in Squidward's face. The second is in The Camping Episode.
- This is the 5th time Mr. Krabs doesn't appear.
- This is the first time Squidward is seen riding his bicycle.
- This episode uses music from the film "Jaws."
- This is the 3rd episode with its name in it.
- The title card music for this episode was also used in "Reef Blower" and will also be used in "Pizza Delivery".
- Patrick says "Merry Christmas!" as if Christmas Who? took place before it, though this is a likely paradox. However, in this episode Squidward doesn't know Patrick's name and in Christmas Who? he does.
- SpongeBob's glasses makes a 2nd appearance.
- This is the first time Squidward went Jellyfishing
- Netflix mistook the episode title for "Jellyfish".
- When SpongeBob and Patrick walk back to their houses covered in bandages, look at Patrick's mouth when SpongeBob says, "Hey, Patrick." Patrick's mouth is in sync when SpongeBob speaks.
- When SpongeBob and Patrick throw Squidward a Best Day Ever Party, SpongeBob is inside, but when Squidward leaves his house, SpongeBob is shown outside.
- When Squidward leaves SpongeBob and Patrick on his bicycle, SpongeBob's house is missing.
- When Squidward was in his wheelchair, he needed a cast for each arm, but he was able to move them to slam his jellyfish against the bigger jellyfish.
- Squidward's net switches between his hands. First it is in his right hand, then his left, then right again. This error would happen again in "Krabby Road".
- When Squidward is on his wheel bed at the end of the episode, when he arrives to the scene he is facing his front door, however later on in the scene he is facing towards Patricks house when the big jellyfish zaps him.