- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Squidward Tentacles
- Gary the Snail
- Nat Jr.
- Monroe Rechid
- Dale (as kid)
SpongeBob wakes up, drinks a cup of coffee made by Gary and also eats french toast looks at his calendar. It says "You are a winner", and SpongeBob hugs himself. It also says "first day of summer", and SpongeBob gets excited, and when he goes to work, he sees Mr. Krabs even more excited for summer. SpongeBob asks him why, and he says (incorrectly) that on summer vacation, children go around spending money, and the Krusty Krab will get more profits through kiddie meals (which he raises the price of from $1.99 to $4.99). However, he sees that the children are all at a new playground, and decides to make a playground of his own, Krabby Land.
At work the next day, Mr. Krabs reveals the grand opening of Krabby Land, which he proudly built himself. Krabby Land is little more than a dopey-looking assembly of cheap (and dangerous) attractions such as Fort Adventure, which is nothing more than a collection of big stinky mattresses and other junk. The Dumpster of Doom is another disgusting gem in Mr. Krabs' new nightmare playground. The other attractions are even more terrible, yet bordering on laughable.
The children are horrified, yet speechless with disappointment, but Mr. Krabs gives them coloring books/liability waivers and says that whoever hands theirs back gets to meet "Krabby the Clown". He tells them that Krabby the Clown will come soon, and tells SpongeBob to stall them. SpongeBob pretends to be "the Krabby Patty Burgular", and the children hate him. He accidentally injures himself while trying to amuse them, which makes them laugh. He realizes that they like pain, and begins intentionally harming himself, even hiring two thugs to torture him by feeding him lima beans.
After a while, SpongeBob goes to Mr. Krabs, who is sorting through a large stack of money, presumably the children's, and tells him that he can't stall anymore, being horribly beaten and missing limbs. Mr. Krabs tells SpongeBob he's being selfish and tells him to "get back to work", but upon seeing SpongeBob's limbs flying around (the children were using them as boomerangs), he fears that his windows will be smashed, and soon, Krabby the Clown (Mr. Krabs in a tie and tomato nose) comes out, and says "Hey kids! Thank you all for coming! Thank you! Eat plenty of Krabby Patties! Ar, ar, ar!" and walks back into his office. This latest rip-off is the last straw for the children.
An extremely disappointed SpongeBob confronts Mr. Krabs, saying that he expected Krabby the Clown, but all he saw was "Cheapy the Cheapskate." Mr. Krabs explains his true intentions to him before telling SpongeBob to put the Tomato back. He comes back out of his office to go to the bank, but is confronted by a mob of angry children, who start whaling on him, and then trash his car. One child even throws Mr. Krabs' money off the roof of the Krusty Krab, giving the appearance that it is raining money. This enchants SpongeBob, who proclaims to have finally found "the true meaning of summer". The episode ends with two thugs feeding Mr. Krabs Lima Beans.
- Krabby Land is a parody of McDonaldland, Playland and/or McDonald's playplaces. Krabby the Clown is most likely a spoof of Krusty from The Simpsons or Ronald McDonald, while the "Krabby Patty Burglar" an obvious parody of the Hamburglar.
- The motto of Krabby Land is "Where a kid can have fun-for the right price". This is a reference to Chuck-E-Cheese's motto, "Where a kid can be a kid".
- The final scene with the kids rioting against Mr. Krabs and taking his money for making a poor character as Krabby the Clown is a likely reference to a 1993 incident at a shopping mall where Barney was billed, but the children became enraged and destructive when a skinny impostor appeared on stage. This may also be akin to the Simpsons episode "Kamp Krusty" when Bart spearheads a revolution against Mr. Black's oppression after seeing Barney hired to be a knockoff Krusty.
- The number of kids who are present at Krabby Land changes throughout the episode.
- The Rocketship Fantastica "ride" is a possible reference to Battlestar Galactica.
- This episode is likely what caused Spongebob not to like clowns, as shown in Rodeo Daze and Tunnel of Glove.
- The attractions in Krabby land include: "Rocketship Fantistica" (a garbage barrel hanging by a rope), "Dumpster of Doom" (a bashed-in dumpster with the name spray painted on the side), "Hose World" (Hoses hanging from a bar), "Fort Adventure" (a pile of nasty mattresses and other junk), "Toaster Rodeo" (toasters attached to springs), a stack of tires, an old rusty slide, and a bowling ball pool.
- On October 28, 2007, the Best Day Ever marathon in the Netherlands named this episode number one.
- This episode, along with "The Camping Episode" were the last episodes where the closed captions were ahead of the characters' speech.
- The time card is designed the same as the title card for Reef Blower, but with black color in the background.
- Some of the kids are just child versions of Bikini Bottomites.
- This episode is the 33rd where Patrick doesn't appear.
- This episode is the 29th episode with the name in it.
- The "tough fish" also appeared in "Shanghaied".
- SpongeBob had no arms or legs when the kids took them and used them as boomerangs, but in other episodes they grow back right after he loses them.
- Things that SpongeBob does to distract the kids:
- Spill soapy water on his eyes;
- Rip his face with adhesive tape ( Spongebob used the outer side of the tape, not normally the tacky side.);
- A truck smash his tongue three times;
- A burly fish hit his head with a hammer;
- The burly fish smash SpongeBob with an iron ball;
- The burly fish holds SpongeBob and gives him lima beans;
- Two burly fishes play tennis using SpongeBob as a tennis ball;
- These fishes play tug-of-war with SpongeBob and rip him;
- The kids use his arms and legs as boomerangs.
- This is the fourth time SpongeBob gets ripped in half, the first was in the episode "Texas", the second was in "Procrastination" and the third was in "I Had an Accident".
- This episode the Krusty Krab menu is revealed, also in Krusty Krab Training Video, although a longer menu is in Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy IV.
- The title card for this episode is shown by Mr. Krabs on a small poster during the middle of this episode.
- This is the second time Spongebob calls Mr. Krabs cheap. The first was in Can You Spare A Dime?
- The muscular guy that helps injure Spongebob is the same guy that would later beat up Squidward twice in the episode Boating Buddies.
- The number of kids who attend the summer playground activity at the Krusty Krab changes throughout the episode, possibly because they left.
- At the end the wrinkles on Squidward's head disappear.
- When we see the line of people before zooming in to Krabby Land, most or perhaps everyone in line were adults or adult height.