Notice: this page uses content stolen from Encyclopedia SpongeBobia
|Uh-oh! It looks like this article is Stolen!|
this page uses content stolen from Encyclopedia SpongeBobia.
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Mermaid Man
- Barnacle Boy
- Dirty Bubble (debut)
- Realistic Fish Head
- Atomic Flounder (debut)
- People at Shady Shoals rest home
- Gary the Snail
- Jumbo Shrimp
- Sinister Slug
SpongeBob is watching his favorite show, The Adventures of Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy. He has entered a competition, and is listening eagerly to see if he's won the mystery prize. The announcer declares the winner as "SpringBoob SquirePin", for his life-sized Krabby Patty mannequins of Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy. SpongeBob calls out that SpringBoob SquirePin stole his idea, before the announcer announces that he has made a "slight" error in pronunciation, and that the real winner is indeed SpongeBob SquarePants.
Within seconds, SpongeBob's prize is delivered to him. SpongeBob has won the "conch signal", a conch whose noise is a signal which Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy respond to. SpongeBob blows it, and Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy hear it from Shady Shoals, and spring into action. When they arrive at SpongeBob's house, they at first think that he has been disfigured before recognizing him. He explains to them that he won the Conch Signal in a contest, and that there is no danger. They then explain to him the importance of the signal, and tell him that he must only use it for major emergencies.
Later on, Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy hear the conch once again, and rush to SpongeBob's house, where he appears to be dead on the floor. However, he then reveals that he simply is having trouble opening a jar of mayonnaise. Barnacle Boy is angered by this, but Mermaid Man reminds him that emergencies don't come around as often as they used to, and he tells SpongeBob that he can blow the conch "every once in a while." However, SpongeBob abuses this privilege, constantly calling Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy to help with everyday tasks. Eventually, the two heroes are exhausted, and Barnacle Boy attempts to destroy the conch signal, but cannot bring himself to do so.
SpongeBob apologizes and explains that he just wanted to spend time with them. As a result, they let SpongeBob join them on their daily patrol, with SpongeBob dressed as a superhero. They do various activities, such as keeping lookout from on top of a tall building, and in the street, Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy see an old man, who was once The Atomic Flounder. SpongeBob attacks the old man, not understanding that he is no longer a villain, and angered by this, the Atomic Flounder breathes fire in Barnacle Boy's face.
At a restaurant, Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy ask SpongeBob to find their theme song on a jukebox. As he tries to find it, they decide to "ditch" SpongeBob. Outside, however, they are attacked and trapped by their arch nemesis, The Dirty Bubble. When SpongeBob finally finds the song, he comes outside to tell them, and sees their predicament. He asks the Dirty Bubble for his autograph, saying that he is his favorite supervillain, and "accidentally" pops the Dirty Bubble with a pencil tip, saving the day. The trio ride off in the Invisible Boatmobile, singing a Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy-themed version of "Jingle Bells" as the episode ends.
- The "Jingle Bells" song is a parody of a Batman and Robin-themed version of "Jingle Bells", of which Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy are parodies of.
- This is the first and only time we see Mermaid Man naked.
- In this episode Mermaid Man is the first human to be shown naked.
- This was the first of two "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy" episodes to not feature Patrick. The second is the 7th episode, "Mermaid Man vs. SpongeBob".
- This is also the only "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy" where the title card has purple scales. The other four have blue scales on the title card, and "Mermaid Man & Barnacle Boy VI: The Motion Picture" has a completely different title card then the others.
- This was the last episode to use Traditional cel animation. All episodes from Your Shoe's Untied onward use digital ink and paint.
- This is the first appearance of the Mermalair.
- This is the only MM&BB episode not to have The Lineman as the title card music.
- 13th time Patrick doesn't appear.
- 9th time Squidward doesn't appear.
- The Atomic Flounder is the only villain shown to have aged.
- This is the 2nd episode where Patrick, Squidward, Mr. Krabs and Sandy are all absent. The 1st was Walking Small.
- 21st time Spongebob cries.
- This episode marks the season finale in season 1.
- The Atomic Flounder's radioactive breath is a possible reference to Godzilla.
- Upon remeeting with SpongeBob, Barnicale Boy says "it's just that sponge kid again", referring to when they met SpongeBob in the first Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy episode.
- For the first time, there was a censorship, but Gary is the censor. Like bubbles and leaves.
- Different title card music from the other five title cards.
- Mermaid Man & Barnacle Boy are later dumped into the Mermalair the way they were in this episode in the season 6 episode, Shuffleboarding.
- RUNNING GAG: Barnacle Boy getting burned mainly by the Invisible Boatmobile.
- This is the last episode to be rated TV-Y instead of TV-Y7
- This is the final episode of Season 1.
- During a tribute to Ernest Borgine, This episode paired with Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy