Notice: this page uses content stolen from Encyclopedia SpongeBobia
|Uh-oh! It looks like this article is Stolen!|
this page uses content stolen from Encyclopedia SpongeBobia.
|Season 1, Episode 5a|
|Air date||August 14, 1999|
|Written by|| Sherm Cohen|
Home Sweet Pineapple
The Krusty Krab makes its very first pizza delivery. Mr. Krabs decides to have Squidward deliver it. Squidward hesitates and asks why SpongeBob cannot just deliver it by himself. Mr. Krabs obviously was not listening clearly and declares "Great idea, take him with ya!", so SpongeBob and Squidward go to deliver a pizza.
However, SpongeBob can't drive and is still in boating school. When he tries to shift into reverse, the Korean words for "go forward" and "go backward" appear in SpongeBob's illusion as he starts to hesitate. Then he "backs it up" whereupon Squidward and SpongeBob become stranded in the "middle of nowhere" (or in a sandy desert). SpongeBob suggests to deliver the pizza on foot, and they start walking. SpongeBob begins singing a song about the Krusty Krab Pizza, and how it's the best pizza on the sea floor. Then they get whirled into a tornado, and Squidward tells SpongeBob to let go of the pizza, but the pizza saves their lives when SpongeBob transforms it into a parachute. SpongeBob shows Squidward some pioneer tricks, such as hitch-hiking, eating coral, telling where civilization is by looking at what direction moss points, and even driving rocks.
The eternally sceptic Squidward does not believe SpongeBob but has to reconsider when they end up driving the rock all the way to the customer's house. Sadly, their journey didn't pay off too well. The customer gets extremely angry that he didn't get the soda he says he ordered (which he ordered but at that time but Mr. Krabs put the phone down). SpongeBob starts crying (and absorbs his tears). Angered that the customer made SpongeBob cry, Squidward knocks on the door and ruins Tom's head (and face) by brutally shoving it in his face. After the confrontation, the two drive back to work, which ironically is only a few feet away but Squidward is already very worn out from the long pizza delivery.
This episode is number twenty on Tom Kenny's Top 20 on iTunes. His description says:
"The classic setup: SpongeBob and Squidward lost in the desert while delivering a pizza to a customer's home. Squidward just wants to get out of there, but SpongeBob sees his pizza delivery as a sacred oath between himself and the customer. I like when SpongeBob singing to himself - 'The Krusty Krab pizza is the pizza' ...turns into a bizarre gospel jingle singer-'Krusty Kray -ya ya-yaa-aaab!'"
This episode was voted to be the number one SpongeBob episode of all time by fans in The Ultimate SpongeBob Sponge Bash.
- Associated production music
The following is a list of music tracks used in the episode.
- [original music by Nicolas Carr] (title card)
- The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka- Chelmsford Folk Band (opening)
- Captain Lenoe's- Michael Arthur, Colin Cater, Mick Graves, The Folk Players, Sarah Graves, Simon Ritchie (customer orders pizza on phone)
- Gator[original music by Steve Belfer] (vehicle inspection)
- Death Trap- Gregor F. Narholz (SpongeBob backs up)
- Stand Boys Stand- Jerry Burnham, Tony Ellis, Stephen Wade ("It's an old pioneer trick.")
- Hog Fever (a)- Graham D.H. Preskett (hitchhiking)
- On Fire- Gregor F. Narholz (tornado)
- Merlin's Hill- Jennifer Jones (harp music)
- Action Cut A- Gregor F. Narholz ("Where's the road?")
- Vibe Link (b)- Richard Myhill (moss on rock)
- Hawaiian Link (b)- Richard Myhill ("I know where I'm going.")
- Funeral March- Gerhard Narholz (SpongeBob and Squidward exhausted)
- Cold Fear- Dick Stephen Walter (SpongeBob refuses to give Squidward the pizza)
- Love for Sale A- Peter Fallowell (Squidward tries to tempt SpongeBob)
- Death Trap- Gregor F. Narholz ("Wait a second!")
- [original music by Sage Guyton and Jeremy Wakefield] (Squidward chases SpongeBob)
- [original music by Nicolas Carr] (SpongeBob dances)
- Nostalgic Romance- Gregor F. Narholz ("It's not just a boulder, it's a rock.")
- Moloka'i Nui A- Kapono Beamer (pizza delivered to customer)
- Stack of Leis- Kapono Beamer (SpongeBob cries)
- Leaf Blower-The Blue Hawaiians (Squidward walks up to the customer's door)
- Hilo March - The Hawaiian Serenaders (ending)
- Other than some appearances of Mr. Krabs and Frank in the beginning and towards the ending, about 90% of this short is all about SpongeBob and Squidward.
- When SpongeBob, looks at the gear lever, he hallucinates the Korean words "앞으로가" (Apeuroga, which means Forward) in place of "Forward" and "뒤로가" (Duiroga, which means reverse) in place of "Reverse".
- This is the first time a tornado appears. The second time will be in Pineapple Fever.
- The search is referencing "100 A.D.".
- This is one of the few episodes in which Squidward shows his liking for SpongeBob, despite the fact that he forcibly attempts to take the pizza from him in this episode as well, the other was "Graveyard Shift".
- The background music heard when SpongeBob sings is the same as in the title card. SpongeBob would do the same thing in New Digs.
- SpongeBob was called "Jethro" twice in this episode. This is a reference to "The Beverly Hillbillies".
- This is the first episode where SpongeBob is mad at Squidward.
- 3rd time Patrick doesn't appear.
- This episode's title card music is a classic conga beat, and other variations of it have been used in other cartoons, such as Tom and Jerry.
- The scene when SpongeBob and Squidward back up the boat with SpongeBob saying "backing up, backing up" repeatedly became a hit meme on YouTube.
- For some unexplained reason, Squidward saying "Oh, my aching tentacles." at the end has been cut out in recent airings of the episode.
- Tom is orange in this episode, and is seen without Fred for the first time.
- This is the first time the Krusty Krab is shown to sell pizza, second is I Heart Dancing.
- This is the 1st time something other than Krabby Patties are served at the Krusty Krab.
- Diet Dr. Kelp is a parody of Coca Cola, Pepsi, or Dr. Pepper.
- This is the first time when SpongeBob started crying after Tom is angry at him. The second was "Fools in April", the third was "Neptune's Spatula", and the fourth was "Grandma's Kisses".
- There was no need for Spongebob and Squidward to take the car, they could have simply walked to Tom's house in that distance.
- On the Nick Scene It game, a card asks "what are the toppings on the pizza" and the answer is "pepperoni, mushrooms, and cheese."
- On November 17 and 18, 2012, this episode was ranked #1 on the SpongeBob Top 100 Weekend on Nickelodeon Germany.
- The steering wheel in the car is on the right instead of the left, suggesting that the car is foreign.
- The Krusty Krab Pizza has mushrooms on the cheese, that means there are mushrooms inside the Krabby Patty. The ingredient never has said mushrooms, so this might be the secret recipe.
- When SpongeBob is running away from Squidward, then hits him and falls on the ground, SpongeBob sits on the ground, missing his hat.
- As SpongeBob dances in joy at finding the car, he executes two pushups. However, in "MuscleBob BuffPants", he couldn't even do one. However, later on in "The Fry Cook Games" and "Stanley S. SquarePants", he is able to do many pushups. Perhaps SpongeBob's excitement gave him energy to do two pushups.
- After Squidward is run over by SpongeBob's Rock, his eyes momentarily become the same color as his skin.
- when Spongebob is being blown around holding the pizza, the writing was towards him. When they were spit out, the writing was facing away from him.
- Fred's house is on the opposite side of the street from the Krusty Krab, where the Chum Bucket usually is.