PlayStation 2 or PS2 is a game console made by Sony.
The PS2 is a home game console made by Sony. It was released worldwide in March 2000. It is a commercial success, up to 154 million units sold, making it the best-selling console to date.
The console was announced at the start of 1999. Then in March 2000, it was released. The console caused minor controversy, because of it's success put the game company, Sega in debt, since the Dreamcast was abandoned by many hardcore players for the PS2. Sony said that they didn't mean to put Sega into debt.
The console received universal and critical acclaim. The console was praised for its games, high quality graphics, and the console being a CD and DVD player, but it was criticized for its high price of $399 and its vulnerability to overheating.
The console received further controversy, especially the "Disc Read Error", in which the console can't read the game, even if the game is in mint condition. Then the red screen of death controversy came about, and then the disc scratching controversy, when the console scratched any disc that was put in it.
The PS2 was also a CD and DVD player, which made the console more successful. It was even backwards-compatible with the PlayStation, which made it more successful. When the seventh generation came in 2004, the PS2 remained popular throughout that generation, even though its successor, the PlayStation 3 came out.
The console remained outright popular, until 2013 when the console was starting to be overshadowed by other consoles. Sony discontinued the console, with the last game released for it being FIFA 14 in October 2013.
Red screen of death
In March 2003, rumours were spreading that the console has a red screen of death. It is reported to look like "a few solitary cubes floating in a red cloudy abyss". It can be frightening as the normal blue cloud turning into an angered red cloud followed by a deeper version of the browser start-up theme. The rumours were at first, assumed to be false, until other people started getting the screen. The screen can be encountered if a disc that the console can't read is placed in it, like a PC game or a Wii game.
A blue shaded cloud appears with floating transparent cubes and passing red and green lights floating around on it. A text reading "Sony Computer Entertainment" then appears, before the screen then plunges into the blue cloud. After a few seconds wait, the PlayStation or PlayStation 2 will then appear.
- The PS2 surpassed the PlayStation and is fully backwards-compatible with it.
- It even surpassed the PlayStation as the best-selling game console ever.
- The best-selling game for the console is Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas at 20 million copies sold.
- The PS2 is known to scare younger players for it's browser music which sounds eerie and the red screen of death music which sounds even eerier.
- The PS2 got discontinued in 2013 after nearly 13 years in production.
- Despite it being discontinued, games were still being produced for it such as FIFA 14.
- The grey Dualshock 2 controller might be confused for the first Dualshock.