- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Patrick Star
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Squidward Tentacles
- Betsy Krabs (debut)
- Old Man Jenkins (cameo)
- Sadie (cameo)
- Susie (cameo)
The episode opens up with the closing of the Krusty Krab. SpongeBob leaves but Mr. Krabs pulls him back and tells him to take out the trash. When he goes around to the back of the Krusty Krab. He reads some of the dumpster writing and finishes 1. He then reads a piece which has a Swear on the end that isn't shown up on camera. He asks Patrick what it is and Patrick says that the word is a sentence enhancer. The next day, SpongeBob walks into the Krusty Krab and says the swear to Patrick and then over the intercom. The Krusty Krab customers are appalled by the swears said by SpongeBob and leave. Squidward tells Mr. Krabs the story. Mr. Krabs decides to tell them that the swear is swear number 11 of a list of 13 swears (when actually there are than that). SpongeBob and Patrick decide to wipe the said word from their tongues and promise Mr. Krabs that they will never use it again. Later, they play their favorite game, Eels and Escalators. Patrick gets escalators but SpongeBob always gets eels and eventually he loses the game. When he does, he utters the swear word. Patrick then races to the Krusty Krab to tell Mr. Krabs with Spongebob trying to stop him. During the chase, Patrick says the swear word so Spongebob starts racing faster than Patrick to tell on him. Patrick hitches a ride above an Ice-Cream Truck but doesn't reach the Krusty Krab. SpongeBob bursts through the front door and tells Mr. Krabs that Patrick said the swear but in a complicated way. Patrick then joins along but they always change the subject to something else. Eventually, Mr. Krabs stops their gibberish and they say what they he needs to tell them. Mr. Krabs takes SpongeBob and Patrick outside and returns with cans of paint.
Mr. Krabs is about to give SpongeBob and Patrick the job, but he hits his foot on a rock, throws the paint away and says all thirteen swears while complaining about his foot being injured and hitting the rock. When SpongeBob and Patrick hear all the swears, they run to Mama Krabs' house to tell her that Mr. Krabs all thirteen swears. When they all reach her house, they repeat the same swears during their complicated explanation. This makes her faint, but shortly after Mr. Krabs scolds Spongebob and Patrick for saying all those bad words in front of her she regains consciousness. Mama Krabs states that all three of them should be ashamed for saying all those words in front of her and if they going to talk like sailors then they are going to work like sailors. She then gives all three of them the task of painting her house with a fresh coat of paint as punishment for saying those words at her. She then hits her foot on a rock too, and even though Mr. Krabs thinks that his own mother said a swear, it is actually the horn of Old Man Jenkins' car. The episode ends with all the characters laughing.
- Sailing Over the Dogger Bank - Title card
- Dramatic Cue (d) - "Ooooh! You said number 11!"
- Dramatic cue (e) - "What's gonna happen to us?"
- If you look closely on the dumpster, you can see the words, "Patchy was here." This may be a reference to Patchy the Pirate.
- Originally, when he lost Eels and Escalators, SpongeBob was going to say: "Go (dolphin noise) yourself!" and Patrik was to say: (dolphin noise) You too!" However this was removed due to obvious reasons.
- "Eels and Escalators" is a parody of the board game Chutes and Ladders.
- When Spongebob loses, he is animated to say "Ah, f**k it!" in frustration.
- Squidward's quote, "Don't you mean there are only seven?" was a reference to the comedian George Carlin's infamous routine, Seven Dirty Words.
- This episode is similar to "Curses," "The Word of the Day," Dexter's Rude Removal," "To Bleep or Not to Bleep," "Bleep!", "The Bad Word", and "Who Said That?," all episodes of the Powerpuff Girls, Rugrats, Dexter's Laboratory, Tiny Toon Adventures, Arthur, Yoko! Jakamoko! Toto!, and Baby Looney Tunesrespectively.
- This is the 75th single episode.
- This is the 3rd episode to show Mr. Krabs using the toilet. The 1st episode was in "Your Shoe's Untied" and the 2nd was in "Band Geeks."
- This is the 3rd episode where both SpongeBob and Patrick disobey Mr Krabs, the 1st episode was "Arrgh!" and 2nd was "Hooky."
- This episode was quoted to be Chris Pine's favorite episode.
- This episode became controversial as this episode teaches children the inappropriate words, even though the episodes bleeps them out so the kids don’t know what they said. The point is to deter swearing.
- This episode drew criticism from the Parents' Television Council and the fans who felt it encouraged children to use profanity. Despite this, the episode taught that it was wrong to do so and that it results in punishments: when Mr. Krabs told Patrick and SpongeBob they were using bad words, they were horrified. And when they used them again, they were punished with painting the Krusty Krab and Mrs. Krabs' house.
- However, it could've been Plankton, due to his disliking of Mr. Krabs. It could also have been a customer as Mr. Krabs is known for being a terrible business man.
- This episode is based on the reputation of sailors to use an abundance of profanity. The episode's title is based on the term "sailor mouth," meaning someone who swears a lot. Other terms include "swearing like a sailor". Among other names are foulmouth and potty mouth, (no relation to Potty the Parrot).
- In the Brazilian dubbing, Betsy Krabs has a deep masculine voice.
- The music playing for the opening of this episode is called Sailing Over the Dogger Bank.
- Dolphin noises are heard in other episodes, but they are not used as curse words. An example would be the dolphin noises in Jellyfish Jam. Another one would be Spongebob making dolphin noises inThe Paper and You Don't Know Sponge.
- This was the first episode to air after the September 11th terrorist attacks. 10 days after them.
- Some of the dumpster writings:
- Patchy was here
- Dogfish ♥s Catfish
- Starfish rool (reference to Patrick)
- Nematoads are people, too
- When Mr. Krabs asks, "What kind of things?" the captions say, "What things?"
- When SpongeBob says, "Yea varily. Now, let's play a nice wholesome game of "Eels and Escalators." It shows the game board but SpongeBob's left arm and the dice that SpongeBob had on his left hand are, indeed missing, while Patrick is sitting down. The next scene when Patrick says, "Oh boy, my favorite!" He is laying down, again. This maybe due to the still paint scene error.
- When Mr. Krabs says "From top to bottom." Before his right foot hits the rock, he had his teeth together because his mouth didn't sync up the dialogue.
- When Mr. Krabs' right foot got hit, he held his left foot which was uninjured. Mama Krabs had the same error.
- When SpongeBob was telling on Patrick to Mr. Krabs it looks like he has to use the bathroom. The same thing hapens when SpongeBob and Patrick tell on Mr. Krabs to Mama Krabs.
- When Mr. Krabs pulls the penny out of Mama Krabs' pocket it is silver instead of bronze.