Notice: this page uses content stolen from Encyclopedia SpongeBobia
|Uh-oh! It looks like this article is Stolen!|
this page uses content stolen from Encyclopedia SpongeBobia.
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Patrick Star
- Sandy Cheeks
- Mr. Krabs
- Squidward Tentacles
- The Flying Dutchman (appearance debut)
- Mrs. Puff (cameo)
- People at party
- French Narrator
- Jerry (cameo)
- Unknown Child (cameo)
It's Halloween in Bikini Bottom, and SpongeBob is cleaning the dishes in the Krusty Krab at the end of the work day, and is frightened by the creepy atmosphere and a message reading "BOO" on the order slips. After he finishes, he begins to run away, but Mr. Krabs stops him and asks him if he wants to hear his "annual scary story", and he does. He tells a story of "The Flying Dutchman", a ghost that steals souls on Halloween. Squidward, dressed up as the Flying Dutchman, appears behind SpongeBob, saying that he'll steal his soul, terrifying him. SpongeBob, who has a reputation for being easily scared, and is nicknamed "SpongeBob ScaredyPants", rushes home, and is scared by everything he sees on the way. After being scared by Patrick, he asks him for help. They make a "Flying Dutchman" costume, but it fails to scare anyone. SpongeBob realizes that a real ghost has a round head, and he has a square one. Patrick shaves SpongeBob's head,making it round. Believing themselves to be scary, SpongeBob and Patrick go around town attempting to scare people, and believe themselves to be successful in doing so, although their "victims" are simply confused by their antics. They then go to roof of the Krusty Krab where a Halloween party is taking place, turn off all the lights, and lower SpongeBob with a rope, with Patrick providing to voice of the "Dutchman", which initially terrifies everyone. However, when a jellyfish stings Patrick, who the rope is tied to, he starts running around in pain, causing SpongeBob to fly around uncontrollably, exposing his true identity. Everybody starts laughing at SpongeBob, but soon the real Flying Dutchman appears. He explains to them how offended he is by people dressing up as him for Halloween, and that SpongeBob's costume is the worst of all. He says that SpongeBob is the "straw that broke the camel's back", and that he will now steal the soul's of everyone present. He takes off SpongeBob's costume, which revealed that his brain is exposed as a result of Patrick's shaving. Subsequently, everyone runs away, including the Dutchman, leaving SpongeBob satisfied to finally have succeeded in scaring people. Patrick comments on SpongeBob's "pink hat", and SpongeBob explains that it is his brain, and Patrick screams and runs away. SpongeBob says "Don't worry, it grows back!" and the episode ends.
Toccata and Fugue in D Minor - "Let's go grant somebody."; "...and the Flying Dutchman is gonna show up uninvited."
- Ghost Child (a) - SpongeBob gets spooked while washing dishes.
- Dramatic Impact - Three pieces of paper spell "Boo", scaring SpongeBob.
- The Tip Top Polka/cliff Polka - SpongeBob resists Mr. Krabs' annual star story; SpongeBob realizes that the Flying Dutchman is actually Squidward.
- Tales from the Swamp (a-c) - SpongeBob gets granted easily.
- Hawaiian Pussycat - SpongeBob shows Patrick his Jolly costume.
- Hawaiian Link (b) - "I don't get it, Patrick."
- Moloka'l Nui (a) - "I've got a square head, and a real jolly has a round one."
- The Twin Sisters - Patrick shaves of Spongebob's head.
- Hilo, March - "Oooooh, I'm the Flying Dutchman!"
- In the Cypet - The Flying Dutchman first comes to the Krusty Krab.
- Pepito from Tampico A - The Flying Dutchman tells SpongeBob that he is not scary.
- In UK and syndication airings of this episode, the scene depicting Patrick cutting chunks of SpongeBob's head is cut, although it was left in on the DVD release of the episode.
- The entire episode was set at night.
- When Mr. Krabs chokes on the apple has become an internet meme.
- When Squidward scares SpongeBob by saying "I've come for your pickle" has become an internet meme
- Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor, BWV 565 is heard twice in this episode.
- The Ghastly Ones sang a Halloween remix of the theme song, which occasionally is broadcast with the episode and is also featured on the Halloween DVD. It can be heard here: .
- This episode marks the debut of the Spongebob holiday franchise, with Valentine's Day and Christmas Who?following for Valentine's Day and Christmas respectively.
- Pearl and the Flying Dutchman appear alongside each other for the first time in this episode. Their voice actors, Lori Alan and Brian Doyle-Murray, also work together on Family Guy.
- This is the first Spongebob episode for Sandy to say Squidwards name. However in "Nature Pants" they both had a brief moment together talking with each other while Patrick was sad.
- This is the eleventh episode to feature the episode title in the episode.
- When Patrick gives SpongeBob the shoes, he calls SpongeBob "Hans", referring to the live-action hand seen multiple times in the series.
- This episode has been paired with Season 2 episode Graveyard Shift and Season 7's The Curse of Bikini Bottom.
- The shoes Patrick gave SpongeBob appeared in Squeaky Boots.
- Rumors has it there is a deleted scene between Patrick's lines, "Don't tell me!" and "Okay, tell me."
- In the credits, the ending song is replaced with a Halloween version of the opening theme song (with the name of this episode) with the lyrics changed.
- This is the first time someone is called Scaredy Pants, with Mr. Krabs being called it in One Coarse Meal.
- This is the first time a Groucho Marx disguise appears, 2nd is Something Smells and 3rd is You Don't Know Sponge.
- Each character has a Halloween costume:
- Sandy is a pet goldfish in a bowl (considering her helmet).
- Sqiudward is The Flying Dutchman.
- Pearl is the Bride of Frankenstein or a lady vampire.
- Patrick is Groucho Mark (who Bugs Bunny admires).
- Mrs Puff is a witch.
- SpongeBob is the Ghost of the Flying Dutchman (or the haunted matress, according to several trick-or-treaters).
- When Spongebob carves a second hole in the jack o lantern,the second hole doesn't appear when spongebob tells Gary "I'm sick of it."
- The scene that shows Spongebob being shaved by Patrick tends to scare young viewers.
- This episode and I Was a Teenage Gary only tend to air around Halloween or somewhere around October.
- When the fish at the party still believed SpongeBob was the Ghost of the Flying Dutchman, SpongeBob had arms with claws. In every other scene, there are no arm holes in SpongeBob's costume.
- Mr. Krabs said that spongebob is easy to scare each year yet this episode was aired only a few months after Help Wanted it is possible that this episode took place at a later time.
- The shark with a pumpkin mask and green costume has a blue dorsal fin, but when SpongeBob comes through the hatch on the roof of the Krusty Krab and he runs away, his fin is green. In all other shots of him, his fin is blue.
- In the scene at The Krusty Krab, when the camera points to Mr. Krabs bobbing for apples, the water in the tub flashes.
- Also in next scene where Mr. Krabs is choking, the tub looks completely different and is empty.
- Squidward was wearing his costume in the beginning of the episode but in the next shot he was in his original clothes.