- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Gary the Snail
- Squidward Tentacles
- Pearl Krabs
- Patrick Star
- Sandy Cheeks
- Sheldon J. Plankton
- Mrs. Puff
- King Fish
- Fred (cameo)
- Old Man Jenkins
- Mrs. Shell
SpongeBob has a strange dream, where he is driving a hot rod and he has his driver's license. However, Mrs. Puff appears and rips and tears up SpongeBob's license, and he is then propelled out of his own dream.
He appears as a small, glowing version of himself in the outside world, where he sees himself sleeping. SpongeBob realizes that he has no dream to go to, until he sees Gary's dream cloud. He jumps in, frightening Gary.
In his dream, Gary has a humanoid body and can speak English, and resides in a huge library. Gary tells SpongeBob some limericks before SpongeBob goes out of Gary's dream cloud and into Patrick's. Patrick's dream is completely empty, except for a kiddy ride that he is riding on. SpongeBob explains to him that in a dream, he can do whatever he wants, which he demonstrates by changing size and creating a million copies of himself. Patrick says he's already satisfied, and SpongeBob goes out of Patrick's dream cloud. The ride then stops and Patrick takes out a quarter but drops it in a sewer grid.
Next, he goes to Squidward's dream, where Squidward is playing clarinet for a king in a theater. SpongeBob distracts the king by telling him a limerick that Gary recited in his dream, and Squidward stops, and the king growls at him for not playing. After this happens several times, Squidward becomes so angry that he snaps his clarinet, but SpongeBob saves him by turning into a clarinet. It produces no sound, and SpongeBob just sings horribly, which surprisingly everybody applauds at.
SpongeBob goes into Sandy's dream, where they are skydiving, and have to land on a painted target. SpongeBob asks if it's safe, and Sandy says "Yeah, as long as you have a parachute". SpongeBob misunderstands her, and while trying to explain to him, Sandy fails to open her own parachute in time and lands in a truck filled with manure. SpongeBob falls out of Sandy's dream and says to himself "All right, that's it. No more messing with people's dreams."
However, he then goes to what he thinks is Mr. Krabs' dream, but actually is Pearl's dream, where she is having a tea party with her stuffed animals in a very childish and girlish setting.
After realizing this, he immediately goes to Mr. Krabs' dream, where he's fishing for money. Mr. Krabs instructs SpongeBob to pull out his money net from his back pocket, which turns out to be Mr. Krabs's wallet. SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs manage to catch "Moby Dollar", but it escapes and Mr. Krabs shoots SpongeBob out of the dream in a cannon-like device.
He is launched directly into Plankton's dream. Plankton, in his dream, is a giant monster and can shoot lasers from his eye, and is destroying the city. SpongeBob pokes him with a pin and Plankton deflates, is squashed by the angry townsfolk, and wakes up.
SpongeBob then goes back to his own dream cloud, where the angry faces of everyone who's dreams he entered appear around him. When he wakes up, everyone is in his house complaining that he's messed up their dreams. Patrick then appears and asks "Does anyone have a quarter?" then everybody looks at Patrick in a strange way.
- All the main characters appeared in this episode.
- It is revealed in Sleepy Time when Mr. Krabs was born, along with SpongeBob.
- Patrick is the only one that didn't get angry to SpongeBob for entering his dream.
- Second time Pearl does not cry. The first was in Culture Shock.
- This is the first episode to premiere in 2000.
- This is the first official episode in the series excluding Boating School where SpongeBob is seen barefoot.
- This is the second time the main characters (SpongeBob, Patrick, Squidward, Mr. Krabs, Sandy, Planton, and Gary) all appear in the same episode. The first is "Culture Shock"
- Moby Dollar is a parody of Moby Dick.
- The name that Squidward has in his dream, Wolfgang Amadeus Tentacles, is a parody of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. Coincidently, the Andante from Mozart's Piano Concerto No. 21 is playing in the background while SpongeBob is in Gary's dream.
- This is the second episode where Mr. Krabs fires SpongeBob, the first was in "Karate Choppers"
- This episode heavily uses the concepts of lucid dreaming, Astral Projection, and Out of Body experience.
- It is unknown whether Sandy's dream happened over land, or underwater. Sandy is without her helmet, skydiving, which is impossible underwater, but Spongebob isn't wearing a helmet, However it's Sandy's dream and she can do whatever she wants.
- Gary says "Beware of your wandering eye, you little Sponge poriferan. in his dream. The sponge is in the Phylum Porifera.
- In one scene, when Gary and SpongeBob are walking along the library, a book is shown close up. On the cover, the title says "Of Snails and Men", a parody to John Steinbeck's book, "Of Mice and Men".
- SpongeBob tells Gary, "Curiosity salted the snail," a reference to the classic line, "Curiosity killed the cat," as snails are portrayed as the cats of the sea.
- Glitter appears on the title card. Glitter is also used in the title card for "Imitation Krabs".
- Then Plankton says "Here, kitty kitty". Which over-reveals that snails are portrayed as cats.
- SpongeBob's driver's license:
- Expires: 12-14-03
- Address: 124 Conch St. Bikini Bottom
- Class: S
- Sex: M
- Hair: Yellow
- Eyes: Blue
- HT: 0-04
- WT: 1oz
- DOB: 07-14-86
- Mr. Krabs' driver's license:
- Expires: 11-30-02
- Address: 3541 Anchor Way Bikini Bottom
- Class: S
- Sex: M
- Hair N/A
- Eyes: Green
- HT: 0-07
- WT: 5
- DOB: 11-30-42
(It should be noted that his license simply says "Mr. Krabs" without giving his first name Eugene.)
- If the licenses show their respective correct ages, SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs would have been 13 and 57 years old on the day this episode premiered.
- If this is the case, and if child labor laws were the same in Bikini Bottom as America, SpongeBob would not be working at the Krusty Krab legally.
- In a commentary for the DVD (Tide and Seek), Tom Kenny says that Gary looks like a Talosian (from Star Trek) in his dream.
- In Pearl's dream, there are framed photos of what look like the members of Boys Who Cry, a band who appears in "Whale of a Birthday", which was made several years after this episode.
- This is the first episode to premiere in the year 2000, although credits still state all season one episodes from this one to "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy II" to be copyrighted 1999. It may be that all episodes of the first season were made during 1999, only not aired.
- In the video game SpongeBob SquarePants: Battle for Bikini Bottom, there is a world based on this episode, which takes place in the dream world and allows SpongeBob to visit the dreams of other characters. Also, one of the robots that appears in the level is called a Sleepy Time (behind the Krusty Krab).
- The video game SpongeBob SquarePants:Creature from the Krusty Krab is very similar to this episode. The game's third act, in which SpongeBob and Patrick battle a giant Plankton, is directly based on Plankton's dream in this episode.
- The scene where SpongeBob licks his plate in his dream has been cut out from later airings for unknown reasons.
- The exact license is seen in "Nautical Novice."
- The music used in Patrick's dream would later be used in the Bunny Buns sequence in "Mid-Life Crustacean" and in "Skill Crane".
- The Limerick that Gary read to SpongeBob in his dream is an actual Limerick.
- MY LEG: Plankton rules the world in his dream just as he is destroying a building.
- There is a PC game similar to this, Nighty Nightmare, where you are in SpongeBob, Patrick, and Plankton's dreams.
- This is the first episode SpongeBob is seen with a driver's license. The second is in "No Free Rides". The third would be "Nautical Novice", and the fourth would be "Gone".
- In this episode, SpongeBob's driver's license says he lives on Conch Street. But in a later episode, "Slide Whistle Stooges", it is stated that Squidward lives on Conch Drive, but that's not possible because Squidward is SpongeBob's next-door neighbor. However, different things happen in different episodes.
- Sandy crashing into a truck of clam manure is a reference to the running gag from the Back to the Future movies where Biff crashes into a truck of manure.
- This is the first time to show a character dreaming.
- This is also the first time to show Plankton big the second time being in Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy IVthe third time in Wishing You Well. However, SpongeBob actually shrunk the city and himself, excluding Plankton, in Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy IV.
- It is revealed that Sandy's Treedome is next to Mr. Krabs's house.
- Plankton's dream is very similar to what happened at the end of a much later epsoide Wishing You Well. He grew big and start destroying the town, although, he didn't have lasers in that episode.