SpongeBob and Patrick are racing to Sandy's Treedome to play. However, the dome has a metal cover on it, and a "KEEP OUT" sign. They go inside the entrance, where they find a television. The television turns on and plays a video, which shows Sandy in a nightgown, eating acorns to store up for the winter. Sandy (on the TV) explains that she is hibernating for the Winter.
However, when they make too much noise in her room, she suddenly gets up, sleepwalking, and attempts to kill them, believing them to be "Dirty Dan" and "Pinhead Larry", outlaw villains from her dream. However, she soon falls back into her bed, asleep, with Patrick making sure she won't get up again by giving her a pair of earmuffs. SpongeBob and Patrick leave the tree to play in the snow. They pretend to be Dirty Dan and Pinhead Larry, mocking Sandy, and begin fighting over which one of them is Dirty Dan. However, the vibrations from them whacking each other with a huge snow shovel (SpongeBob) and a massive baseball bat with a nail through it (Patrick) knock off the earmuffs, allowing Sandy to hear the ruckus, which alerts Sandy, who comes out of her tree and begins to attack SpongeBob and Patrick. She immediately throws Patrick aside when he is not looking, and then chases SpongeBob until he falls into a pit. SpongeBob tries to throw a small piece of wood at her, but Patrick comes and gets in the way, accidentally taking the hit. He falls into the ditch and then Sandy pounces on them, beats them up, buries them alive, and goes back to bed. As the winter storm grows more intense, SpongeBob and Patrick try to escape, but find that the door's frozen shut. Unable to survive in the cold weather, they go into Sandy's tree and rip off all her fur, SpongeBob makes his share into an "eyebrow/goatee combo" and Patrick fills his pants with the fur he ripped off. SpongeBob proclaims that he is prepared for the "longest, coldest Winter ever!!" However, Winter quickly comes to an end and Sandy wakes up, normal sized. She is surprised to see SpongeBob and Patrick, but soon realizes that they are wearing her fur and that she is nude. The last scene shows Sandy drinking lemonade with SpongeBob and Patrick, whose bodies are wrapped around her to form a makeshift "coat".
APM Music Identification
- A metal cover is over Sandy's treedome. Nicholas Carr
- Patrick shows SpongeBob what "disturbing" is. Steve Belfer
- SpongeBob and Patrick freeze in the snow. Jeremy Wakefield, Sage Guyton
- Down by the Riverside- #1 - Title card.
- Folli the Foal- Sandy's hibernation video.
- Skaters Waltz- "SpongeBob, look!"
- Footsteps (b) and (c)- Sandy snores.
- Easy Days and Mellow Nights- #1 - Sandy dreams about Texas outlaws.
- Point of Departure- Sandy wakes up from SpongeBob and Patrick's "disturbance".
- Unpreventable- Sandy grabs SpongeBob and Patrick and roars.
- Easy Days and Mellow Nights- Sandy goes back to sleep.
- Cierre Bob Esponja- After Patrick yells at Sandy the first time.
- Hilo Rag- SpongeBob and Patrick have fun in the snow after putting earmuffs on Sandy.
- Monster Bug (a)- "Which one of you fellers is the REAL Dirty Dan?!" / "Uh... I am."
- Hog Fever (a)- #1 - Sandy goes on a rampage.
- Time for Terror- SpongeBob and Patrick try to open the door.
- Face at the Window /
- Unease- "Then we're stuck in here... until the door thaws... in spring..." / "Barnacles!"
- Footsteps of Horror- SpongeBob and Patrick see Sandy's fur.
- Night Chill- SpongeBob pulls off a tiny piece of fur off Sandy.
- Reckless Rufus- "Pat, are you CRAZY?!" / "No... I'm warm."
- Spring Song(Song Without Words, Op. 62, No. 6) - Spring arrives.
- Hog Fever (a)- #2 - The lock is still frozen.
- Fingerpickin'- Close-up of SpongeBob and Patrick in Sandy's fur.
- House of Horror- Sandy screams.
- Curse of Evil 2- "SpongeBob... Patrick..."
- Down by the Riverside - #2 - Sandy offers SpongeBob and Patrick some lemonade.
- The title is a reference to the phrase "Survival of the Fittest".
- This episode could be seen as a sequel to "Prehibernation Week". However Sandy explained hibernation to SpongeBob in that episode, yet he still does not know what it is in this episode.
- According to commentary, the original title was to be "Survival of the Morons".
- In the original storyboard, Sandy's bed was hanging from the ceiling, and there was much more saliva.
- Sandy's treedome was previously shown during the Winter in "Bubble Buddy". However, oddly, that time she had to go south to survive it, unlike in this episode.
- It is never explained how it snowed in the Treedome.
- The scene when Sandy throws Patrick can be inspired to make the Tank animation from Left 4 Dead.
- 11th time Squidward doesn't appear.
- In the pilot episode of the drama series Fringe, the beginning of this episode can be seen briefly.
- The face that Patrick makes when he says, "Who you callin' Pinhead?" has been parodied countless times over the internet and became popular meme on Youtube.
- This is the third time Sandy wears a nightgown. First is Sandy's Rocket, second, Karate Choppers, and fourth, Overbooked.
- This is similar scene of furless Sandy to 2001 film Monsters Inc where George Sanderson was refused by CDA and suffered by 2319 sock.
- During hibernation, Sandy is in her big size because animals need to have body fat in order to survive the winter.
- A time card would have been shown in this episode, but was cut.
- Second time Sandy's Treedome had a cover on it. The 1st was "Texas".
- This is the first episode to have snowflakes on title cards.
Running Gag: SpongeBob and Patrick waking hibernating Sandy up.
- Some say this episode aired slightly sped up on 9-24-2012, at 6:30pm, EST.
- In this episode, Sandy had a patch of brown fur on her breasts. It was barely seen when Sandy was normal-sized, but was more visible when Sandy was hibernating. This "patch" was never seen in any other episode.
- When SpongeBob and Patrick first enter the treedome, there is no door on Sandy's tree.
- At the end of the episode, when the snow has melted and Sandy first sees SpongeBob and Patrick with her fur, there is no water left in the treedome. However, this doesn't affect SpongeBob and Patrick. Similarly, earlier in the episode, when SpongeBob and Patrick were depending on snow for hydration, they are not affected by the lack of snow while inside Sandy's Tree.
- When SpongeBob is in the hole and picks up a plank, there is another one behind him. When the scene changed to Sandy and back to SpongeBob, the plank is gone.
- It previously snowed in the episode Christmas Who?; however, SpongeBob and Patrick act like they have never seen it until this episode, but it could be due to the episodes not being in order.
- When Sandy pounces on Patrick and Spongebob, Spongebob's feet are missing and Patrick has sharp teeth.
- When SpongeBob is standing next to Patrick, he has ice and snow on his head. When he runs to the tree it vanishes. When he returns back to his spot, it's back on his head as if it never left.
- Sandy's lips don't move when she says: Oh look, it's SpongeBob and Patrick!
- When it becomes spring, Spongebob and Patrick aren't wearing helmets.
- Even though there was no water or snow in Sandy's treedome, Spongebob and Patrick went in without helmets unaffected.
- After Sandy grabbed Spongebob and Patrick the first time and went back to bed, she was not wearing her blanket. The next time she was shown, she was wearing her blanket.
- When Sandy rips off the top of Patrick's head, fangs are shown in her mouth. These are not seen any other time.
- When Spongebob and Patrick pop out from the snow they both have big straight noeses made of snow, but when Patrick says, "That must be one tired tree!", Patrick's snow noes in bent down and Spongebob's snow noes is bent upward.