|The Cent of Money|
|Season 7, Episode 139b|
|Air date||July 7, 2010|
|Written by|| Casey Alexander|
Gramma's Secret Recipe
The Monster Who Came to Bikini Bottom
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Mr. Krabs
- Gary the Snail
- Bikini Bottomites:
- Arcade Customers
- Old Man Jenkins
- Arcade Security Officer
- Nat Peterson
- Mary (cameo)
- Old Man Jenkins
- Sadie Rechid
- Frank (cameo)
- Billy (lime fish) (Brief cameo)
- Nathiel (Brief cameo)
- Debbie Rechid
- Krusty Krab
- Fun Arcade (A. K. A. Bikini Bottom Arcade)
- Free Parking Lot
- Downtown Bikini Bottom
- Goo Lagoon
- Bikini Bottom Hospital
SpongeBob is taking Gary for a walk. They spot Mr. Krabs in a free parking spot. Gary gets a little spazzy so Mr. Krabs asks what's wrong. SpongeBob says that's what Gary does when he finds money. Mr. Krabs decides to take Gary to look for spare change all around town to feed his obsession for money. When SpongeBob asks what Mr. Krabs is doing with Gary, he just gives SpongeBob an impossible task (like painting the Krusty Krab with a toothbrush, or rearranging all the wall rivets from largest to smallest). Mr. Krabs collects money from people at the Krusty Krab, Goo Lagoon, and the Laundromat. He then finds an arcade and goes inside. Mr. Krabs decides to disguise himself and Gary as a pregnant woman. Mr. Krabs tries to take everyone's money, but Gary is so worn out, that he can't attract money anymore, as doing so causes him pain. Meanwhile, SpongeBob is finished with his tasks, so he looks for Mr. Krabs, but the guy Mr. Krabs took money from tells SpongeBob that Mr. Krabs and "his snail" have been stealing money. SpongeBob finds Mr. Krabs and is mad at him for putting Gary through all that pain just for money. They begin to argue, but they get distracted as Gary involuntarily starts collecting all of the money in the arcade (even from inside the game macines themselves!) The huge amount money forms a massive wave of coins, which begin sliding towards all the Bikini Bottomites in an avalanche sort of fasion. Everyone tries to exit the arcade to avoid being swept away, except for Mr. Krabs, who runs toward the large wave of coins in a fit of money madness and gets literally crushed by them. Mr. Krabs ends up in the hospital. After discussing what happened to Mr. Krabs, SpongeBob asks what caused Gary to begin attracting money. The doctor discovers that he had swallowed SpongeBob's Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy fridge magnet, which had quite a strong magnetic pull. When the doctor points out the bill to Mr. Krabs, he responds that he doesn't have enough to make his payment. The doctor corrects him by mentioning that all the change he collected with Gary would cover it, prompting Mr. Krabs to yell "Nooooooooooo!" in defeat as the episode ends.
- This is the second time Mr. Krabs shouted "jackpot". The first time was in One Krab's Trash when he found Smitty Werben Jager Man Jensen's grave.
- Squidward does not appear in this episode.
- When the scene shows the fish playing the arcade games, one of them has a character and game similar to Pac-Man.
- The floor of the arcade resembles the night sky in Bikini Bottom.
- Mr. Krabs will wear the same outfit, for the same reason, to obtain money, in Safe Deposit Krabs.
- In real life, you could not use a magnet to "obtain" coins, as coins aren't magnetic.
- Debbie Rechid was seen eating at the Krusty Krab, however she was immediately shown in the next scene at Goo Lagoon. Maybe it's because after she left the Krusty Krab with the rest of the customers, she decided to go to the beach.
- When the coins erupt out of Mr Krabs' pants, his butt shows. This is considered by some to be one of the funniest scenes in the episode.
- This is another episode where Mr. Krabs is set on obtaining small coins. The other time was in Penny Foolish, when Mr. Krabs wanted a penny that he thought SpongeBob had found.
- This is the third time there is money on a title card. The first was "Wishing You Well" and the second was "Money Talks."
- Running Gags:
- Mr. Krabs keeps calling Gary by a different name. Also, he mispronounces snail, instead saying that Gary is a "sneagle."
- SpongeBob keeps getting impossible jobs to do at the Krusty Krab to keep him busy.
- This was originally named "The Smell of Money" but "smell" changed to "cent".
- The Cent of Money is a pun on "The Scent of Money."
- This was originally going to be in Season 8, but this episode was aired in 2010 and cannot be paired with an episode that's in another season because "Gramma's Secret Recipe" is part of Season 7 along with "The Cent of Money" which means both episodes to be a part of Season 7. Season 8 moved and aired in 2011.
- This is the second episode were someone does not get Gary's name right; the first was in "I Was a Teenage Gary" where Squidward called Gary "Fred".
- This is the second time Gary is used as a wagon-dragger, the first was in "The Great Snail Race".
- When Mr. Krabs calls Gary a "sneagle", it's a portmanteau of "snail" and "beagle",which is weird since he is supposed to be a cat.
- Oddly Gary was able to use a magnet to grab all of the coins around him and Mr. Krabs.
- This episode was originally paired with Enchanted Tiki Dreams but then it was paired with Gramma's Secret Recipe.
- If you look closely when Mr.Krabs is inside the arcade you can see there is a Old Man Jenkins and Mable
- Mr. Krabs calls Gary : Barry, Terry, Harry and Rory. Also said Gary was a Sneagle not a Snail.
- In reality, only quarters work in arcade machines not pennies, dimes, or nickles.