- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Patrick Star
- Sandy Cheeks
- Squidward Tentacles
- Gary the Snail
After The best day ever
On "Best Friend's Day", Patrick gives SpongeBob an enourmous wad of used gum he has amassed over his entire lifetime (fondly referred to as "Gummy"), and SpongeBob finds it a better gift than his own (a robotic butler). However, when he takes it inside, he realizes how disgusting it is, and it even starts to scare him, with a pair of underpants crawling out of the gum and saying in a demonic voice, "You're not Patrick!". First, SpongeBob tries to throw it away, but Patrick catches him in doing so, and he says that he was dressing it up with the garbage can. Later, SpongeBob tries to bury Gummy, but Patrick catches him again, and he says that he dug the hole to be able to look at gummy from below. Patrick insists that it must be displayed properly, and places it above SpongeBob's doorway. SpongeBob next tries to dispose of it in the night, and in the process frees several people who were literally trapped inside it. He tries to pull Gummy off of his house, and fails, destroying the ball and getting stuck to it in the process. The next day, Sandy visits SpongeBob's house to see it covered in the sticky remains of gummy, with SpongeBob hanging above his doorway. She tries to free him by lassoing a piece of Gummy onto a passing truck, which is almost able to pull it away, but is ultimately pulled in by it, hitting SpongeBob's house and causing the gum to explode, completely covering the houses of SpongeBob, Squidward and Patrick, and trapping Squidward and Sandy as well. Patrick then appears, and SpongeBob tells him he can have Gummy back. Patrick then wolfs down all of the gum making Patrick obese, freeing SpongeBob, his friends and their houses. However, he then blows a massive bubble, which explodes and covers the whole town in gum.
- When SpongeBob puts the trashcan lid on top of gummy a flower appears.
- This episode, along with "Driven to Tears", "Rule of Dumb", "Born to Be Wild", "Best Frenemies", "The Pink Purloiner", "Squid Wood", "Hocus Pocus" and "The Thing", aired after they were released on the SpongeBob SquarePants Season 4 Volume 2 DVD Box Set.
- When SpongeBob is putting Gummy away in the rubbish bin, the dirty pizza and other dirty stuff disappear.
- The name of this episode is a parody to "The Gift of the Magi".
- The German title, "Gummilein", is also to the german name of Gummy. Gummy seems to be alive because it made a noise by itself.
- When SpongeBob is giving Gummy back to Patrick, he tells him that it is still Best Friends Day. However, the episode took place over two days. This error is further reinforced by SpongeBob saying "Well, it's still Best Friend's Day..." close to the end of the episode. However SpongeBob could have been trying to trick Patrick into taking Gummy back.
- When everything gets covered in gum, the flower on Sandy's helmet has swapped sides.
- Originally, the writers planned to color the gum blue instead of pink.
- This is one of the episodes that aired on the Patrick for President marathon.
- After Gummy explodes onto SpongeBob's house, all of the nasty trash stuck to it disappears.
- When SpongeBob is "stealing" Gummy and gets trapped, he is wearing a burglar outfit. However, when Sandy sees him trapped, he's wearing his normal clothes. Also, before he "steals" Gummy, he looks over to Patrick's rock, but Squidward's house is nowhere in sight.
- When SpongeBob was trying to tell Patrick something about Gummy, he decided to tell another lie because if he told Patrick the truth, then it will hurt Patrick's feelings.
- SpongeBob drives a bulldozer in this episode, but he's doesn't have a driver's license and he still doesn't know how to drive a boat-mobile.
- The truck driver's steering wheel is on the right side, meaning it is a foreign car.
- This episode marks the season finale of season 4.
- This is the 2nd time Sandy says "That's Crazy Talk"; the 1st time was "I Had an Accident".
- In Something Smells
- When Sandy gets her hand stuck in the gum she takes her hand back out when she saw the truck passing by as if her hand was never stuck in the first place