- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Squidward Tentacles
- Mr. Krabs
- Patrick Star
- Guard Worm (Major and biggest role)
- Dr. Actor (debut)
- Administrator Flotsam
Mr. Krabs is very cranky and has thrown out his back due to his old, lumpy mattress. SpongeBob suggests that he and Squidward buy Mr, Krabs a new mattress, but because he doesn't want to waste his hard earned money on his cheapskate boss, he refuses, and Patrick joins SpongeBob in buying a new mattress instead. The two go to a massive mattress emporium, where they buy a comfortable new mattress throw out his old one.
They make a card for him, which Squidward signs, giving himself full credit for the gift. The next night, the trio surprise Mr. Krabs with his new mattress, and when they tell him that they threw away his old one, he is furious, revealing that all of his money was in the mattress. Krabs then goes into a "Cash Coma", and ends up in the hospital, where the doctor explains that only the return of his money can save his life. Squidward insists that it was SpongeBob's fault, but a police officer shows him the card, which states that he is solely responsible. The cop says that if Krabs dies, Squidward will be charged for his death and sent to jail. Squidward was beginning to threaten to murder SpongeBob, but the police officer stopped him. Squidward, SpongeBob and Patrick go to the dump to retrieve the mattress, only to find that there is a vicious guard worm sleeping on top of it.
Meanwhile, the doctor realizes that Mr. Krabs has no insurance and cannot afford his hospital room, and move him into the hallway in front of the vending machines. Squidward tells SpongeBob and Patrick to go inside and get the mattress, but they end up overturning the fence, trapping Squidward inside with the worm. At the hospital, the doctors "surgically remove" Mr. Krabs from the building and leave him on the sidewalk in order to get to the "Nutty nut bar". Squidward then devises another plan, where SpongeBob and Patrick distract the worm while he retrieves the mattress. The worm becomes obedient to SpongeBob when he sees the wooden spoon he is holding up. SpongeBob throws it towards Squidward for the worm to fetch, and Squidward is subsequently attacked by the worm.
At the hospital, Administrator Flotsam is outraged that Mr. Krabs has been left outside, and they push him down the hill. Next, Squidward has SpongeBob and Patrick dress as "choice cuts" so that the worm will eat them, telling them that they are in Halloween costumes, and that when the worm sees them he will realize that he forgot about Halloween and leave to get candy (which is obviously false). Suddenly, Mr. Krabs rolls into the dump and lands on his old mattress, reviving him. He effortlessly throws the worm aside, which lands in Squidward's arms and begins chasing him.
- The song where SpongeBob and Patrick trying the mattresses is the title card music of "Funny Pants", "Night Light", "Money Talks", "The Slumber Party", "The Pink Purloiner", "Whale of a Birthday", "Hocus Pocus" , "Fungus Among Us" , "Back to the Past", "Truth or Square" and "Squidward in Clarinetland". The only other occasion where it is used in an actual episode is "20,000 Patties Under the Sea".
- Squidward has a back pocket in his skin where the back pocket of his pants would be. Also in Pineapple Fever, he says he had "other pants".
- When Mr. Krabs opens the Krusty Krab, there is a keyhole on the door handle. In the next scene, it is gone.
- In The Abrasive Side, SpongeBob's new face said, "I wouldn't do it for all the money in Krabs' mattress!"
- When this episode premiered, the actual credits were shown.
- In SpongeBob: Truth or Square The Video Game after upgrading SpongeBob's bed the new matress is Mr. Krabs' old matress.
- In Squeaky Boots, Mid-Life Crustacean and Krabs a la Mode, Mr. Krabs' bed is a hammock in the episode.
- There is no road that leads to the front door of the Krusty Krab when the characters are there.
- Squidward said he was going to murder SpongeBob.
- This is the only post-movie episode (meaning an episode airing after the The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie was released into theaters) that has Action Cut A play in it. All other episodes that this song played in were pre-movie episodes meaning an episode that aired in Season 1, 2 or 3).
- It's odd how Squidward wanted Spongebob and Patrick to get hurt, even though he was threatend by the police when he threatened to murder Spongebob.
- This episode was one of the episodes that was originally supposed to air on Season 3, but didn't and got remade. The other episodes were Patrick SmartPants, Whale of a Birthday, Krusty Towers, and Mermaid Man and Barnacle VI: The Motion Picture.
- The scene with the wooden spoon in Squidward's pocket was disturbing to many viewers implying that the spoon was up his butt. (a reference to anal sex).
- Goof: When Squidward was seen bit on the butt by the worm, his neck was missing.
- This episode had the most ironic jokes in it; during Mr Krab's coma, the doctors repeatedly put him in more difficult situations, each time with the doctors not caring of his well-being. And during all of Squidward's schemes that planned for Spongebob and Patrick to get hurt, Squidward was hurt instead.
- In reality, the doctors could be arrested for potentially harming the patient.
- Running Gag: Squidward getting attacked by the Guard Worm.
APM Music Identification
- Hula Festival - Title Card
- Hail Brittania- Squidward's watch plays this.
- Happy Sponge Chase Vibes- Montage of SpongeBob and Patrick trying the mattresses.
- Action Cut A - "All my money was in that mattress!"
- Furtive Footsteps - "Well that's Mr Krabs' mattress alright"
- Classic Soap 14 - Mr.Krabs is in a cash coma, Oh no Mr Krabs Doesn't Have Insurance, We Have To Move Him Away From The Nutty Nut Bar, We can't leave him out in front of the hospital.
- Dangerous A - SpongeBob and Patrick make loud noises.
- Unknown Chase Cue 2 - The ending.