|The Wreck of the Mauna Loa|
|Season 7, Episode 150b|
|Air date||October 9, 2010|
|Written by|| Casey Alexander|
New Fish in Town
- After Krusty Dogs
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Patrick Star
- Mr. Krabs
- Squidward Tentacles
- Bikini Bottom Dwellers
- Bikini Bottom Police
- Dennis (first in line)
- Harold (BRIEF Major Role)
- Nazz (BRIEF Major Role, also)
- Harv (brief cameo)
- Thaddeus [(cameo) seen unconcious]
- Other Fish [(roles/appearances, etc.) suffering terror]
During a game of tag between SpongeBob and Patrick, they accidentally go off a cliff into an underground cavern with a shipwreck called the "Mauna Loa". They then spend the day playing and exploring the ship, soon discovering a gigantic hoard of gold treasure. The next day, Mr. Krabs hears Patrick repeatedly talking about the Mauna Loa, realizing that the two of them found the world's largest treasure hoard! So he follows them down to the ship, and is discovered by SpongeBob and Patrick, and then they show him the hoard. However, the gold coins are actually tokens, and they find a ticket booth, and a plastic captain and realize that it's simply an amusement park ride. The ship is old, and Mr. Krabs (being the cheapskate he is) refuses to pay the money to repair it properly, so it swings around like a tire swing. Many citizens came to ride on it, even ignoring the required safety height, so more people can pay to ride it. SpongeBob and Patrick at first are sad that their hideout was discovered, but eagerly join in anyway. As expected, the old ship begins to lose bits of wood, and one of the splinters hits the speed switch, turning it to "beyond comprehension" mode. The ship then begins spinning out of control, and everyone becomes terrified except for SpongeBob and Patrick, who are having the time of their lives. Soon the ship breaks from its swing, shoots into the air, and plummets to the ground in smitheries, almost killing everybody. Everybody accuses Mr. Krabs for nearly killing them all, including their children. Mr. Krabs is arrested for operating a danger to public safety, and the hideout is condemned and boarded up. SpongeBob and Patrick are miserable that the Mauna Loa was destroyed, and then leave to find another hideout, and accidentally fall into another pit, and into yet another underground cavern, containing the actual Mauna Loa. SpongeBob asks Patrick if he can keep a secret, to which Patrick replies "Nope".
- When Squidward saw SpongeBob's model of a ship, he called him Michelangelo, referencing the artist famous for his statue of David. It's interesting that Squidward would call him that, considering in Artist Unknown, SpongeBob once sculpted a statue of David in his art class.
- In real life, Mauna Loa is actually the largest volcano in the world (in terms of volume). There was also an actual ship called the S.S. Mauna Loa which sunk.
- Though Mr. Krabs' token had no monetary value, Patrick bought something at the Krusty Krab with one.
- This episode is the second time a cavern is shown. The first was in "Chum Caverns".
- This is the fifty-eighth episode with the title's name being a part of the story.
- After the ship crashes and SpongeBob and Patrick hug, when Patrick is talking, you can see all his teeth in his mouth for about a fraction of a second. However, in other episodes, Patrick is shown to have only one tooth.
- This is the third time SpongeBob and Patrick are pirates. The first is Arrgh! and the second is Grandpappy the Pirate.
- This is the third time Mr. Krabs is arrested, the first being "The Krusty Sponge" and the second in "Patty Caper". He was almost arrested in "Banned in Bikini Bottom" for illegally selling Krabby Patties.
- This is the first time Mr. Krabs calls something a "thunk of junk", making "The Masterpiece" the second.
- Second time a place got condemned.
- The ship wreck is called Mauna Loa but Mr. Krabs calls it Mauna Loer but it might be because to his sailor lingo.
- Mr. Krabs only pronounces Mauna Loa two times correctly, when he discovers the token and when he goes into the Captain's Quarters.
- It is revealed that Patrick is not very good at keeping a secret.
- When the ship crashed, everyone nearly got killed. In real life, everyone would get killed or severely injured being (paralyzed).
- In the previous episodes like Shell Shocked Mr. Krabs was in the dumpster, and when Mr. Krabs found out that SpongeBob and Patrick knew about the Mauna Loa he said that he was looking for the wreck in dumpsters which means Mr. Krabs could have been looking for the Mauna Loa that time.
- The beginning of the episode is similar to the beginning of Patrick SmartPants except SpongeBob fell off a cliff but didn't break his head and turn smart.
- The word "Mauna" is in Filipino language, it means to "anticipate".
- In this episode, Patrick doesn't understand (or care) about keeping secrets. But in The Secret Box, he not only understood keeping secrets, he was adamant about keeping the contents of his box a secret. He even admonished SpongeBob, telling him that if he showed him what was inside, then it wouldn't be a secret anymore.
- The Mauna Loa amusement park ride that the people were riding on could be a reference to the ship ride from Pinna Park from Super Mario Sunshine.
- SpongeBob and Patrick's hideout is no longer a secret after it is given away.
APM Music Identification
- Unknown Tracks 9 - SpongeBob and Patrick are playing tag.
- Dramatic Impact 2 - SpongeBob falls from a cliff and falls into a boarded hole.
- Drama Link G - Patrick saves SpongeBob.
- Dramatic Impact 5
- Drama Link B - SpongeBob checks the kelp if somebody is spying on them.
- Hawaiian Cocktail - Mr. Krabs gets arrested after the ride has been demolished.
- Pua Paoakalani B - The Mauna Loa is Condemned.